Saturday, February 9, 2008

Netbackup 5.0 Cluster Server move overly difficult

Here is the scenario, Windows 2000 MSCS running Netbackup 5.0MP6 master server and I want to move to Windows 2003 MSCS or VCS 5 running Netbackup 6.5.1 on new hardware while keeping the same master server name. My original plan was to install Windows 2003 on new hardware, install VCS 5, install Netbackup 5, migrate over, then upgrade after a couple of weeks. The hardest part of that plan is to keep the same name while production is still running.

Problem is, Netbackup 5 is only supported in VCS 2.0. No one wants to downgrade to VCS 2.0 in order to upgrade later to 5.0, such a huge jump. So I scrap that idea and going back to 2003 MSCS solution. I setup a MSCS cluster, add in host file entries, plug all the public NICs to a switch and do a cluster install of Netbackup. When I finally get it to work, turns out Netbackup won't install to the drive I tell it to...

The shared data drive is fine, installs fine to there, except the base install keeps going to C: drive which I changed and tried twice. It even says in the finish screen that I may need to change permissions to the drive I told it to install to. At this point I'm at a loss, this migration/upgrade has been far more difficult than expected. Some may say Netbackup is job security! I'd say source of high blood pressure.

No comments: