Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Fun with EMC DL700

If you've ever had to use Powerlink for something you'll know how slow it is. Have you ever used the search function on there? Another painful process. I administer a first gen DL700, and recently I've been looking into why we have such slow duplication to physical tape from it. I've got it to the point where I can't think of much else besides the library is operating at hilariously slow speeds. A simple speed test on the virtual tapes reveals 120mb/sec beginning performance and 8-15mb/sec middle and ending performance. Random speeds are all around 5-9mb/sec. For a raid 3 array it is simply unacceptable. It's current flare code is at 2.19 and the latest I can find on Powerlink is 2.26.

Now I opened a case with EMC on Powerlink and sent them some SP collects, I hope to see a response from them that was better than the CX300 case I opened from them. You see I opened a case for the CX300 performing poorly and they sent Unisys out to collect 2000 logs plus more on our switches and then after not hearing anything from them, they simply closed the case a month later. While the CX300 is slow, it is passable for our VMware environment for now, the DL700/CX700's speeds are not for backup. I'm putting more and more data to it, yet speeds seem to be slower if anything. I hope my experience with EMC this time around is better but if they can't fix this speed issue, I am going to push, and push hard, to change SAN vendors. I won't be the only one pushing for a different storage vendor either, several other SAN admins do not like EMC much either.

It is past my bedtime and the last 2 hours spent searching for possible tweaks yielded nothing on Powerlink, I await EMC's response.

No comments: