Thursday, December 20, 2007

EMC's response

I have 2 cases out to EMC at the moment, slow disk speeds and ghost single fan fault errors. EMC has come back and said both are hardware replacement fixes. I recently unfroze about 100+ virtual tapes in our VTL and all of the expired ones went to the scratch pool. 4 days later, there are about 10 frozen virtual tapes now. EMC is recommending that I replace cables and BCC's from 3 enclosures now, update the Frumon on all BCCs.

Of course I expect a 2 hours down time while I work with the Unisys people to replace these things. If this doesn't fix my speed issue, it just added another terabyte or 2 or data that I'm behind on duplication. I was hoping for more of a plausible explanation for the speed issue rather than a hardware problem, since we've been having speed issues before I took over this DL700 and they haven't been having hardware issues all the time.

No comments: